Friday, July 01, 2005

*yawn*

I've been so sleepy recently. I fall asleep when I'm reading, sitting in a chair, sitting on the bus... just about anytime except when I should go to sleep at a sensible hour. At a sensible hour to go to sleep, I'm generally staring at the computer until my eyes sting, trying to work sometimes, but more often just reading the internet and playing dumb games.

A couple of nights ago I was at work, and finally managed to do the things I had needed to do, so I was ready to pack it in and go home at around 2am. Turn off lights, check that office door is locked, walk downstairs, out main building door, head to car, search in bag for keys. No keys. Then I remember that they're sitting on my desk upstairs. After wandering around the immediate neighbourhood for a few minutes, looking for somewhere where a campus number for "I'm a dumbass who locked my keys in my office" might be posted, and hatching improbable schemes.... "I'll call Ross, wake him up, and he can drive over and fetch me... no wait, I have the car, damn"... someone arrived to go into the building. (It's a university, with grad students. Yes, people arrive at 2am to go to work.) So I could get into the main door. First hurdle passed.

Now, my office is a cubicle in this giant central room which is all divided into cubicles... so I went down the halls, trying doors that open into connecting cubicles, until I found one that was open. From there it was a simple exercise to climb up on desks and chairs, and over cubicle walls, until I made it to mine, and retrieved my keys. I felt kind of like a kid playing an "I must make it around the room without touching the ground" game. The world has a totally different feel when you're walking over desks instead of sitting behind them.

Two weeks til the wedding. Dad arrives in NYC today. It's exciting!

1 comment:

Dale said...

I love picturing you clambering over the desks & cubicle walls!

If I sternly tell you not to go to sleep at a reasonable hour, would that help? :-)